Monday, June 1, 2020

The Red Lotus by Chris Bohjalian

When I saw Bohjalian had a new book out, I added it to my reading list. When I read that part of it was set in Vietnam, I started to reconsider as that country gives me the creeps because of the war that occurred there when I was in high school and after. I decided to go forward and was glad when the story returned to New York. That the book is about the release of a biological weapon was not exactly my cup of tea either in the midst of the Wuhan pandemic.
The Red Lotus
Billed as suspense fiction, it has possibilities but the rats! Not big on rats so I skimmed those parts as I did with the flashback with a character who served in Vietnam. In the end, the book is just okay, definitely not his best. I thought Secrets of Eden was well done and the end of The Flight Attendant was one I didn't see coming.

Bohjalian really wasn't on my reading list until the last five years or so. A reader in my book festival group in Indiana used to rave about him but I've only scratched the tip of the surface. I will definitely keep reading him as I am particularly interested in his earlier books.

No comments:

Blog Archive