Monday, June 8, 2020

Outbound Train by Renea Winchester

The beginning of Outbound Train by Renea Winchester is a scene a reader won't forget...it made me think of John Grisham's A Time to Kill. It was so ghastly, and I wasn't expecting it at all. But sometimes good comes from evil, and that kept me on the journey.
Outbound Train by Renea Winchester

Barbara and Carole Anne Parker are strong protagonists in this story. Barbara had dreams of leaving her small town but after an event when she was in high school, her life changed forever. Carole Ann, Barbara's daughter, also wants to leave her small town but will a tragedy change her options in life as well? This novel is a page turner in that the reader is drawn to these likable characters and hopes for the best possible outcome for them.

I was drawn to this book after reading about it in a newspaper we have mailed to us out in WNC. It is set in Bryson City, where we stayed during two different vacations. We loved the location and the town. It made for a very relaxing, laid back vacation for us as tourists but I can see where locals, especially the young, might feel the need to escape as did Barbara and Carole Anne. This mountain town and others where we visited for vacation started the process of searching for our own small mountain town to move to in retirement...and we found it about an hour from BC. We have visited BC twice since moving to the mountains as we love a local place called the Everett Street Diner (plus the chocolate shop!)

This is my first encounter with Renea Winchester, and I like her storytelling style. I will definitely keep this author on my radar.

No comments:

Blog Archive