Friday, July 10, 2020

I'm Your Huckleberry by Val Kilmer

With a title like I’m Your Huckleberry, I was expecting much devotion to Val Kilmer’s iconic portrayal of Doc Holiday in the movie Tombstone. With that expectation, I was somewhat disappointed in the memoir, but I did meet a Val Kilmer I didn’t expect: highly intelligent, deep thinking, poetic, God-loving and not afraid to say so.

I'm Your Huckleberry: A Memoir

I also realized I was not familiar with much of his work beyond Top Gun and Wyatt Earp, and that truly, I am not inspired to look into many of his movies. Still, he presented the reader with a meaty reflection on his life from its beginning in as one of three sons of an entrepreneur and his wife to the present day as he recovers from throat cancer and has developed a new direction in his life that is closely connected to no other than Mark Twain.

The memoir is a view of what I expect is the actor’s true self. I admire how he remained respectful of all the women in his life, and how his children are his touchstone. This is not a kiss and tell all but a look at a man that most of fans won’t recognize.

 


No comments:

Blog Archive